Jersey Electricity plc
Privacy Notice - Smart Meters
Jersey Electricity plc (JE) is a vertically integrated power utility dealing in the importation, generation, transmission and distribution of electricity. We are the sole supplier of electricity in Jersey, serving around 50,000 domestic and commercial customers. Providing affordable, secure and sustainable energy is our core objective.
Our non-Energy businesses include Retail, Building Services, IT, Environmental Engineering and Property.
Our vision is to responsibly and sustainably deliver value to our customers and we strive to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations throughout our various operations.
JE is committed to ensuring your privacy is protected. This privacy notice sets out how JE processes personal data in respect of Smart Meters and Smart Metering. For details of JE’s approach to protecting your privacy for all other aspects of our business see: https://www.jec.co.uk/privacy/.
Terms such as personal data, data controller and others pertinent to this privacy notice are defined by article 1 of the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 (DPJL), which can be viewed here.
By ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’ we mean Jersey Electricity plc, PO Box 45, The Powerhouse, Queens Road, St Helier, Jersey. JE4 8NY. By ‘you’, ‘your’ we mean any individual client, supplier or other third party that receives products or services from us, uses our website or otherwise interacts with us.
The DPJL requires data controllers to process data lawfully, fairly and transparently and in order to meet these requirements JE must give detailed and specific privacy information to data subjects, as follows:
- The information we collect
We will collect and store your billing and half-hourly profile data. We need this information to provide you with a quality and efficient service.
- We will take care of your personal data, which will be encrypted and kept secure to protect it from misuse;
- We will record meter readings and usage data from your Smart Meter every day via a secure, encrypted network;
- Access to your personal Smart Account is protected by a password of your choosing;
- We may record the contact details of a Smart Meter Buddy who is prepared to assist you in using the information available in your Smart Account. We will ask for your consent to set up a Smart Meter Buddy. We will ask for consent of the nominated Smart Meter Buddy to take on this role. The details of these consents will be recorded.
- Information we receive from others i.e. third parties
JE does not routinely collect any personal data from third parties in respect of your Smart Meter.
- What we do with your personal data
a. The purposes for which personal and special category data are intended to be processed:
- Respond to your questions;
- Identify you;
- Calculate your electricity bill based on your meter readings or from data obtained from your Smart Meter. We may also use this information to help us detect theft or fraud;
- Contact you to provide information about our services, changes thereto and other administrative matters we may wish to bring to your attention and, with your consent, details about new products, services and offers that may be available to you from time to time;
- Staff training;
- Product development;
- Load management & demand research;
- Ensure your health and safety and that of our staff, contractors, subcontractors and other third parties who may be involved in the provision of an energy supply or other goods and services to you or other clients of JE;
- Estimate the amount of energy you are likely to use over a period;
- Manage and enhance our websites;
- General business administration in respect of the provision of Smart Meters;
- Compliance with all laws, regulations and other standards applicable to us;
- Protect our legal rights and legitimate interests;
- In the event that you or a third party have provided us with information regarding special circumstances we will use such information to tailor our products and services so that these are delivered in the most appropriate way possible to meet your needs.
b. The legal basis for our processing of your personal data are:
- Legitimate interests.
c. Details of any legitimate interests pursued by JE, if our processing of your personal data is based on those interests:
- To meet our stated objectives;
- To run the business as efficiently as possible;
- To ensure our range of products and services best meets the needs of our clients;
- To enhance the functionality and security of our systems and to ensure these best meet the needs of our customers and visitors to our websites;
- To ensure JE meets all legal, regulatory and ethical obligations incumbent upon it;
- To safeguard the interests of our various stakeholders.
We may rely on your consent to process personal data in respect of the following:
a. Certain direct marketing by post, email, text message or other means;
b. Certain services provided in relation to your Smart Meter:
- If you wish to have a Smart Account we will seek and record your consent;
- If you wish to have a Smart Meter Buddy we will seek and record your consent and your Buddy’s consent.
c. You have three options relating to the data available from your Smart Meter used by your Smart Account and we will record your your decision as consent for us to process your data accordingly:
- You can give us permission to collect and store half-hourly data. We will then convert this into useful charts enabling you to better understand and manage your energy use;
- Should you wish Jersey Electricity to stop collecting and storing your half-hourly data, you need to tell us and we will render this information anonymous by removing the personal elements of the data. It is important, however, that you understand that if you don't allow us to retain this data, we cannot offer you the full range of benefits a Smart Account delivers and this will greatly limit the level of help we can offer with future billing enquiries;
- If you choose to do nothing, and don't sign up for a Smart Account, we will collect your data and store this for three years or until you tell us otherwise.
Data subjects have the right to withdraw consents at any time. Should you wish to withdraw your consent for any of these purposes then please contact us using the details at the end of this notice.
- Who we pass your personal data to, if we pass this on to any third parties
- Suppliers, contractors, subcontractors and other third parties concerned with the provision of Smart Meters and Smart Accounts, our websites, technical support and security services;
- Your Smart Meter Buddy, family members, co-habitants and landlords;
- Any third party in connection with the enforcement of our terms and conditions or the collection of debts or for the protection of our rights or those of a third party, our staff, customers or others in connection with the protection of our assets or the safety of any person, the recovery of amounts due to us, to respond to any claims against us and to prevent illegal activity;
- Government departments including, when required by law, the Police;
- Regulators or other legally appointed organisations.
Should your personal data be passed on to a third party providing services to JE in respect of Smart Meters that require them to process your personal data then JE we will seek to enter into an agreement with that third party setting out the respective obligations of each party and to agree terms to ensure compliance with the DPJL or equivalent legislation.
- JE does not intend to transfer personal data to any country outside the European Economic Area.
- The period for which the personal data will be stored, or if that is not possible, the criteria used to determine that period
JE will store your personal data for a period which is appropriate to the purpose for which it is collected and processed, including to meet any legal, accounting or other regulatory/reporting requirements. Our usual practice with regard to billing data from your Smart Meter is to keep this for five years after your last invoice. Half hourly data is kept for up to three years.
- Data subjects’ rights
Data subjects have the following rights regarding data processing, and the data that is recorded about them:
- To make subject access requests regarding the category and nature of information held, the purpose for which it is held, details of any processing performed, the period for which it is to be held and to whom it has been disclosed;
- To prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress;
- To prevent processing for purposes of direct marketing;
- To be informed about the mechanics of automated decision-taking processes that will significantly affect them;
- To not have significant decisions that will affect them taken solely by automated processes;
- To sue for compensation if they suffer damage by any contravention of the DPJL;
- To take action to rectify, block, erase, including the right to be forgotten, or destroy inaccurate data;
- To have personal data provided to them in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and the right to have that data transmitted to another controller;
- To object to any automated profiling that is occurring without consent. This is linked to the rights of the data subject to object to profiling and to be informed about the existence of profiling, of measures based on profiling and the envisaged effects of profiling on the individual;
- Data subjects have the right to complain to JE in respect of the processing of their personal data;
- To lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority.
- Automated decision-making
JE does not use automated decision making in respect of Smart Meters or Smart Accounts. We will contact you to advise if this changes.
- Provision of personal data
JE may require the collection of your personal data in accordance with the provisions of our General Terms and Conditions.
Telephone: 01534 505460
Postal: Attention: Data Protection
Jersey Electricity plc
PO Box 45
Jersey. JE4 8NY
JE will review this privacy notice periodically and will post updates on our website.
Smart Meter Privacy Notice v1.0.
25 May 2018.